Sunday, July 6, 2014

Don't Bully Me!

My mom is very unhappy about something. I get to go to all the training classes at Petsmart. I get to stay at the Pet Hotel. I get to go to doggy daycare or daycamp. BUT I am not allowed to have group play with any of the dogs that go. They say I am a "bully breed" so I can't play with dogs that are not bully breeds. They say they like me there and I am very sweet and cute, but that is the rules. 


Note from Mom: I know exactly what Pit Bull owners have been upset about for years. Frankly, I was one of those people who stayed away and was afraid of pit bulls. Even tho my brother in law has 2 pit bulls and his daughter has one - I was still very cautious around them and I still wouldn't let Opie be around them because  although they are friendly dogs and have been socialized around people they have not been socialized around other dogs. They have grown up with each other and so other dogs haven't really been introduced too much. They are responsible owners and they keep them put up if anyone comes to visit that have pets. However - Petsmart has lumped together EVERY breed that has "bull" in the name. American Bulldog included. Even tho every person that works in the Pet Hotel told me they disagree 100% - that is the rules. So Opie can stay at the hotel, he can have human play time - but he can never been in group play. I was almost in tears when I learned this. We are going through all their training classes - we are taking him to Petsmart to just walk around and be with people. We are taking him to the dog park. We are doing everything we know to do to make sure he will be a well behaved, socialized dog. The problem is - it still won't change anything. He will always be considered a "bully" based on misconceptions and fear society has placed on dogs that comes from pet owners who have raised dogs with the intentions to hurt others. It ruins it for the sweet natured "bullies" out there that responsible owners know will never hurt another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puppy Kisses for all who comment!