Wednesday, February 17, 2016

My Visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon

This is me patiently waiting to see the Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have been having a lot of trouble walking when I first get up and on some days I limp really bad. When I had X - Rays in November, my regular vet told me that I could possibly have some knee problems going on, but he couldn't be sure and the X-Rays didn't really show any thing. He gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and said that if I didn't get better then I would need to see a specialist. I was supposed to rest for a few weeks and see if I got better. I would get better for a day or so and then I would hurt all over again after running or playing too hard. I love to play frisbee and ask to play all the time. I love to chase the squirrels, too. It was hard for me to rest. Now I am on round 2 of medication.
So mom and dad decided to take me to the special doctor and he did more X-Rays and found that I have Hip Dysplasia. This is very common for large breeds like me. This means my hip bones don't fit right. Right now the doctor said my left side is the bad side. It also means that I will have to have a hip replacement soon. 
The doctor told mom and dad that I could do pain management for awhile, but he didn't want to wait til I was older and make it harder for me to get well. I am 2 years old now, so I am still pretty young. 
I am sure when I have my surgery I will get lots of goodies, but I am not looking forward to it at all.
In dogs, hip dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip socket that, in its more severe form, can eventually cause crippling lameness and painful arthritis of the joints. It is a genetic (polygenic) trait that is affected by environmental factors.

Note from Mom: Bless his heart - this was one of my worst fears! Back in November the vet told me he saw no signs of hip dysplasia so I was so happy about that - then I find out he does. Not what I expected to hear from the orthopedic surgeon. We looked at the X-Rays and they were very easy to see the differences in hip joints. 
The good news is - it is only one side right now and so far hasn't degenerated to the point where surgery is a "have to do right now" thing. We can do pain management until we are ready. Of course we can't put it off to the point that he can't walk or gets too old that it will be hard for him to get over it. Since it is about a 12 week recovery, I would like to have it done while I am on summer break. I certainly dread it, but I know we have to do what is best for him. 

Thank goodness we have Pet Insurance!!